Saturday 28 April 2012

Mom Challenge Week 3 - Set Realistic Expectations


O.K so Week 3 of the Mom Challenge was to "Set Realistic Expectations" which I've probably found the hardest out of all the challenges thus far.

Not because I don't totally agree with the reason behind this week's challenge which was that "If your expectations are too high it only creates stress for both your child and you", because I totally do...but just because, from an adult's point of view I often find it difficult to ascertain what's realistic to expect from Mac & how much is too much?

Mac helping fold the washing
The situations that I had the most difficulty in setting realistic expectations for this week were more the behavioural ones for example I'm quite often busy doing something for Spence when Mac decides he wants a drink of milk or something to eat & of course when he decides he wants something, he wants it NOW....but because I'm often busy with Spence, alot of the time I have to tell Mac he has to wait until I'm finished doing what I'm doing....to which response Mac has a melt down & starts whining & grizzling that he doesn't want to wait, he wants it now!

Now this kind of whining & grizzling is SUPER annoying when you're already busy doing something else & at times I can't help but think (when looking at it from an adult's perspective) - "Are you for real?? How rude are you??!! You can see I've already got my hands full & yet you expect me to drop what I'm doing to pour you a glass a milk as soon as you ask for it!"....However, I realize that his whiny, grizzly, SUPER annoying response is because he still doesn't fully understand the concept of time & that waiting for him seems like FOREVER!

In light of the fact that he feels like he's going to have to wait for his milk for what seems like a lifetime, it's probably unrealistic to expect him not to whine at all about having to do this...however I do feel it's realistic & I have been asking him to please go outside & do it because I don't want to have to hear it lol...(although unfortunately this usually makes the whining even louder!)

The situation where it was easiest to set realistic expectations was cleaning up around the house & I have to say that Mac was great at this. In fact just over the last couple of weeks while I've been working on this challenge, he's actually been asking to help with different jobs so it's timed in perfectly :)


The phone rung just as I had started making the bed the other morning & so I stopped what I was doing to answer it & when I came back Mac excitedly said that he'd finished it off for me. He was so super chuffed with himself & I was super proud of him for wanting to help & doing such a great job. Sure it wasn't up to my standards, but for a 4 year old it was awesome! And at this rate he'll be up to Mum's standards in no time :)

Mac super proud of making the bed :) Good effort Son!!

My version

o.k so I realise that this post has been totally about how the challenge went with Mac again & not with Spence, so let me just end by saying that when Spence was born I thought that he'd drool a bit like any normal baby & maybe spill a little on the odd occasion & that he'd be a good sleeper just like his big brother Mac was - a morning & afternoon sleep for a couple of hours each time for the first 2 years at least......but Spence has never conformed to any of those expectations & has done his own thing right from day 1, so I've given up expecting anything from that kid cause the only thing I can realistically expect is that he'll do it his own way - & on minimal sleep!


Mac taking photos of Spence

1 comment:

  1. Ella is sitting beside me pointing going 'Pency dummy, and Pickay too' You did good as at making the bed Mac, I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete