Sunday 15 April 2012

Mom Challenge Week Two

O.K so just reporting back on the Mom Challenge Week Two which was to SLOW DOWN.

I did this 2 weeks ago now but just haven't had the chance to write it up yet. Slack, I know. Anyways, I thought this one was going to be pretty hard for me, however the planets seemed to align at just the right moment to kind of take things out of my hands so that I had no choice but to do just that.

 Usually our day runs on a pretty tight schedule mostly focused around Mac's kindy drop off & pick up & Spencer's sleeps, so alot of the time I feel like I rush Mac from the time he gets up in the morning till the time I tuck him in at night, but the lady who came up with the Mom Challenge reasons that "the only thing that rushing does is create stress and missed opportunities." She also included this poem which I've read before & which always makes me a little sad each time I read it cause I know it's so true :( .....

slow down mummy, there is no need to rush,
slow down mummy, what is all the fuss?
slow down mummy, make yourself a cup tea.
slow down mummy, come spend some time with me.
slow down mummy, let's pull boots on for a walk,
let's kick at piles of leaves, and smile and laugh and talk.
slow down mummy, you look ever so tired,
come sit and snuggle under the duvet, and rest with me a while.
slow down mummy, those dirty dishes can wait,
slow down mummy, let's have some fun - bake a cake!
slow down mummy, I know you work a lot,
but sometimes mummy, it's nice when you just stop.
sit with us a minute,
and listen to our day,
spend a cherished moment,
because our childhood won't stay!
~ R. Knight

So anyway back to my week....The start of this week was also the very same time that Spence's loose nappies started, so rather than rushing to drop Mac off at kindy & then picking him up & rushing to the gym so we can get in at least an hour there before rushing home to put Spence in bed before he gets too overtired etc, etc, we really just had to take it slow & not go too far or even just stay around home.


Instead everything revolved around nappy changes & more often than not it was more than just the nappy that needed to be changed (until I figured out that two nappies are better than one as the outer nappy provides extra protection from it leaking out the sides or shooting up the back lol)....


A few afternoons that week we took Mac's bike down to the park & he ripped around while Spence & I just strolled around the walking track behind him & we also did a couple of walks up to the mall just to get milk or bread or to post a letter. We really should do this more often seeing as we only live across the road!! It was so nice & relaxing.

So yeah, aside from the fact that I was dying for the number of nappy changes to go back to normal, we had a really good week as I surrendered & eased up on trying to keep the house so tidy & rushing to try & fit in as much as possible each day.

I need to try & remember the poem above more often because alot of the time it is important to just slow down.... The washing will still be there tomorrow (unfortunately lol)

1 comment:

  1. I gotta remember this lesson. I spend my whole day going 'wait' 'hold on' or 'in a minute'. As you said, the washing will wait...as will the dishes and the vacuuming. Don't come to my house for a while cause I might just let it all go....nah, a little though!!!

    ReplyDelete